Project Director, ENGIE South East Asia
ENGIE Group is a global reference in low-carbon energy and services. In response to the urgency of climate change, our purpose is to accelerate the transition towards a carbon-neutral economy "as a service" for our customers, global companies, and local authorities. We rely on our key activities (renewable energy, gas, services) to offer competitive turnkey solutions.
At ENGIE South East Asia (SEA), we are a fast-growing team of over 2,000 employees with presence in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines to provide tailor-made integrated solutions for our customers in commercial buildings, industries, and cities.
Using globally leading technologies, we create innovative energy and smart solutions that enhance the performance of homes, business, community, and make the world a better place. We act throughout the value chain: strategy, design, engineering, energy-efficient asset construction, digital platforms, operations management, financing syndication and outcome assurance.
Our main growth drivers are:
- Energy Efficiency Performance Contracts (EEPC) where we sell utilities to our Clients (Chilled Water, Compressed Air, Steam, Hot Water)
- District Cooling Systems (DCS) with 5 existing plants in Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore with several other projects under study regionally
- Off-grid solutions to manage the demand-side of the Energy : Micro-grid, on-site Energy production (Biogas, Biomass, Electrical batteries, EV charging, Fuel-cells, Hydrogen…)
- Renewable Energy with >150MW of Rooftop and Large-Scale Solar and has developed a 1 GW pipe and ambition to take leadership position in Malaysia and the Philippines
- Integrated Facilities Management (FM).
- Acquisition of companies in South East Asia in various fields (DCS, FM, M&E Construction, Data Center, Refrigeration, and the like)
Reporting into Chief Technical Officer, ENGIE South East Asia, the Project Director is responsible for the execution of all large and complex projects in southeast asia: complex C&I solar, Energy solutions for Industry (including energy efficiency and utilities As-a-Service), off-grid energy solutions, Demand Side management, DCS, and sustainable Data Centre. The incumbent will be involved in establishing the initiation, final budget and planning in collaboration with the Business Development team (regional and/or local) prior to the submission of Binding Offer for business deals.
The Project Director is responsible of the management of the Project Construction teams (PCT) which is responsible for the full planning, management, execution, monitoring and completion of projects - from management of the various contracts with client, suppliers, contractors, engineering consultants, management of HSE, quality systems, schedule, budget, team resources, performance and deliverable of targets and outcome from the design and construction phases until completion and successful hand-over to the operation teams.
The successful candidate shall be an experienced Project Manager with in-depth project and people leadership and technical expertise, familiar with general practices and technologies of Electricity and Utilities production, well versed with permitting processes, proven record of successful management and delivery of large-scale projects on time and within the budget.
As part of the regional management team and with concurrent reporting into a Steering Committee, the Project Director will supervise the ad-hoc PCT for each project, liaise with local or regional HR, Finance, HSE, legal departments and other related entities/counterparts for collaboration and support. The local PCT, reporting into the Project Director, will remain matrix reporting into the local organization.
The Project Director is responsible for the management and allocation of project people resource, including re-allocation between projects or transfer to the local O&M teams. To commence structuring of an initial team to support the mission, the Project Director will first define and recruit a team of 3 manpower resource for following roles:
- 1 Document Controller & Quality Engineer
- 1 QP Engineer (Permitting & Projects Planning)
- 1 HSE Engineer (matrix reporting into Regional Head of HSE)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Overall General Management:
- Definition of processes and cascade to IPOS (ENGIE Project Management Control)
- Build, lead, develop and retain a pool of capable and competent manpower resources - Construction Managers, Site Engineers and other PCT resources, including the local PCT teams
- Support the Business Development (BD) teams during the development phase (Project Management costs, Project Scheduling, Execution plans, etc)
- Ensure proper hand-over of project details and requirements from BD teams to the PCT
- Set-up all the processes, including the maintenance and update of Project Management Library in accordance with the ENGIE Group policies such as Risk Management System, Quality Management System, HSE Plan, Testing & Commissioning Plan, knowledge management and key lessons for learning and continual improvement.
- Prepare, monitor and supervise project budgets and schedules handled by PCT
- Provide leadership support, supervision, guidance and advisory to the PCTs with the day-to-day management of projects to ensure smooth operations and on-track completion and delivery.
- Promote and lead HSE culture, effort and initiatives to ensure all project stakeholders are focus on achieving the project objectives without compromising safety and health standards and compliance.
- Provide progress reports and other status updates to customer and management (steerco) periodically and as required
Contracts & Financial Management
Support the PCT together with Business Development, Regional Technical, Legal and the Finance teams in
- The negotiation, establishment, management and the potential variations of contracts/agreements with:
- Customer: Energy / Utility Supply Agreement
- Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM)
- Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) with Contractors and/or Sub-Contractors
- Consultants for Design/Engineering and Project Management support (Owner engineering or EPCM)
- Customers fronting for commercial aspects (contract management, claims, variations, etc)
- Incorporate feedback and inputs from the local teams to be incorporated into future contracts with OEM and Customers
- The Project Director will be responsible for the approval of projects costs and cashflows as mandated by Steerco
Engineering, Procurement and Construction
Support the PCT together with the Regional Technical, Procurement, Legal, Procurement and HSE teams in
- The management of the design phase performed by 3rd party engineering consultants,
- The procurement & subcontract processes for major equipment and subcontracts (ie. EPC or installation contractors),
- The management of, with the appointed owner engineers, the permitting process (applicable permits and licenses), construction follow-up, and testing and commissioning.
Operation and Maintenance
- In collaboration with the entity heads of ENGIE South East Asia countries, Operation Director and the PCT, ensure a proper hand-over to the operation team with the required organization and information, operation team and O&M processes.
- Contractors & Suppliers
- Developers and Public Authorities
- Internal (ENGIE) and external advisors (legal, technical, financial, etc)
- Degree or Master’s in engineering; Thermal, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Min 10+ years’ experience in project and contract management.
- Accredited and in-depth experienced in Project Management certification, methodology and processes. PMP® certification will be advantageous
- Robust understanding of HSE, legal, contractual and financial knowledge for project management
- Strong project leadership & people management skills, self-disciplined, take initiatives and result-oriented
- Strong organization, planning, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent collaboration, presentation and communication skills with attention to details
- Strong capability in building working relations and stakeholder managements, local networks and association with government authorities.
- Ability to uphold strong ethics and compliance, safety & health standards & compliance as well as quality standards.
- Proficiency in computer literacy including MS office suite, AutoCAD and MS Project
- Periodic business travel in SEA countries when required.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your curriculum vitae (CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference Project Director (SEA)